Thursday, July 21, 2011

Parenting a Two Year Old

     OK, so all of my posts so far have been about me.  I may have referenced my kids in them; but it was used as a base to talk about my thoughts.  I want to talk a little about my kids for a moment.  I'm not going to proof-read this; or correct any grammatical errors.  -I'm just going to keep it real and write down what I would say to you in person.

     It's around 8:30 and I'm at home by myself.  Well, the kids are in bed.. I guess I should say that Mack's still at work.  Today's been a typical day.  -Nothing spectacular happened; but nothing bad stood out either.  I guess that really depends on what you consider bad.

     For the last few days Kyle has really been testing me.  He "tunes" me out and doesn't do what I say.  In fact, he tends to do exactly opposite of what I say.  For example, it was naptime (yesterday) and I told him to lay down.  So, he gets next to his pillow and sits by it.  "Lay down."  He stares at me... not even blinking.  "Kyle, lay down."  Still staring at me.

     By this time, I'm already getting a little irritated because he's not listening to me.  "Kyle, if I have to tell you again, you are going to get popped."  He blinks once and continues to stare at me.  So, I pop him.  Still staring.  "Lay down."  Nothing... so I pop him harder.  I continue to do this a third time, popping him down right hard.  He then looks at me in the eye and starts laughing at me.  So, I did what any mom should do in that mind set.  I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me to keep myself from spanking my child into tomorrow.  He then lied down and went to sleep.

     He's been doing stuff like that all week... Kyle do this.. he does something else.. Kyle don't touch that.. he touches it anyway.  I know it's normal for his age; afterall, he's a two year old.  But, my Lord!  -he challenges me with any and everything!!! 

     So, that's why it's 8:30 and Kyle's already in bed.  He was playing with dishwasher, turning it on and off, on and off.  I told him to stop and he didn't.  I then told him if he continues he's going to get popped and go to bed.  He touched it a milisecond after I told him not to.  So, up the stairs we went.  We brushed our teeth, went potty, and in the bed we went.  Overall, it's not annoying or makes my day bad.  In fact, a lot of times I have to keep myself from laughing at some of the things he does to defy me.  I just wish that he would show me a little respect.  That sounds kinda funny, doesn't it?  -To wish a 2 year old would show you respect.  Oh, well, I know that if I keep pushing forward, he'll learn to obey.  There's a reason why God says not to spoil the rod.
     
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Tracie, I really like your blog and I was wondering if you'd be open to looking at an infographic I just made. I think it would spark a lot of discussion with your readers. If you're interested, please shoot me an email and I'll send it over. Thanks!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete